Thursday, April 1, 2010

HOW TO BUILD A CUSTOM CRAFT DESK


This is a Crafting Desk My husband I built for $112.00 in materials and hardware. It is a great sturdy desk with ample storage for all your crafting items. I bought the Closet maid cubicles, 2, 9 cubby ones and 1, 6 cubby one These can be found on sale alot of the time. We saved alot of money by going to a bargain center for the materials. We got the Sheets of MDF for $9.98 each. At Lowes or Home Depot they were $35 each. The Molding we put up at the top edge we got for $2.98 each. Then a tube of Liquid nails, a tube of Kwik Seal Caulk to fill in the finishing nail holes and some screws and nails. Depending on the size you want to build will be the difference in price. My desk is a quite big. The great thing about this is you can make it the size that would work for you.

THE DESKS SIZE THAT I MADE WAS:

MAIN DESK--75"LONG X 38"WIDE X 36-3/4 TALL
SIDE DESK--50"LONG X 26"WIDE X 36-3/4 TALL



MATERIALS NEEDED
2-4'x8' X 3/4inch Thick sheets of MDF with Melamine top (Melamine is like a Formica)
3-12 Foot 1"x4" Trim like Pine or your own personal choice of wood.
12-Bolts & nuts to secure 1"x4" boards to cubicles
2-12 foot pieces of Trim of your choice for the top edge
3inch screws for the pieces of frame
1-Quart of Killz primer in white
1-Quart of white paint ( I used cabinet and trim paint its high gloss)
1-Tube of liquid nails
1-Tube of Kwik Seal Caulk or hole filler
Handful of small finishing nails with no head on them


TOOLS NEEDED

Drill & Drill bits to pre-drill holes in cubicles for bolts
Philips head for drill
Tape measure
Caulk Gun
A Square
Hammer
Table saw to cut sheets of MDF and trim and frame

STEP 1.
PLACE YOUR CUBLICES WHERE YOU WOULD LIKE THEM ACCORDING TO HOW BIG YOU WANT YOUR CRAFT DESK.

.
STEP 2. MAIN DESK
DRILL 2 HOLES ON EACH SIDE OF THE 9 CUBBY CUBICLES ABOUT 3 INCHES APART. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DRILL YOUR HOLES A LITTLE BIGGER THEN THE BOLTS YOU WILL BE USING TO CONNECT THE 1X4 BOARDS TO IT. THEN MEASURE AND CUT YOUR BOARDS SO THAT THEY WILL BE FLUSH AGAINST THE CUBICLES AT ALL END. ON THE 1X4 BOARD TOWARDS THE FRONT OF THE MAIN DESK YOU WILL CUT IT 1" SHORTER SO THAT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DESK FRAME WILL BE FLUSH WHEN YOU FRAME THAT SIDE. FOR THE CENTER YOU WILL CUT MORE 1X4 BOARDS FOR EXTRA STABILIZING AND TO PREVENT SAGGING OF THE MDF IN THE FUTURE.




STEP 3 SIDE DESK:
DRILL 2 HOLES ON EACH SIDE OF 6 CUBBY CUBICLE IN THE SAME FASHION AS THE FIRST SET. ATTACH BOTH BOARDS TO OPPOSITE END WITH 3-INCH WOOD SCREWS. THEN PLACE 1X4 BOARDS IN CENTER ONE IN THE MIDDLE AND ONE ABOUT 1 INCH FROM THE END.



STEP 4:

TAKE MEASUREMENTS ONCE EVERYTHING IS FRAMED UP. CUT YOUR SHEETS OF MDF TO FIT EXACT ON THE TOP OF THE FRAME YOU BUILT WITH NO OVERHANG. THE TOP SHOULD BE FLUSH WITH FRAME. THIS WILL BE DONE IN 2 SEPARATE PIECES. TEST THE TOP OUT TO MAKE SURE IT WAS CUT RIGHT THEN REMOVE IT. TAKE YOUR LIQUID NAILS AND CAULK GUN AND APPLY IT TO ALL RAW WOOD ON THE FRAME ON THE MAIN DESK PORTION. YOU DO NOT NEED TO APPLY IT TO THE CUBICLES BUT YOU CAN ITS YOUR CHOICE. DO THE SAME FOR THE SIDE DESK EXCEPT ADD SOME LIQUID NAILS TO THE END PIECE THAT WILL BUTT UP AGAINST THE MAIN DESK TO ADHERE BOTH PIECES TOGETHER.







STEP 5:
NOW IF YOU USED PINE OR SIMILAR WOOD FOR THE FRAME YOU MAY HAVE SOME IMPERFECTIONS OR AROUND THE AREA YOU CUT IT MAY BE ROUGH. TAKE A PIECE OF SAND PAPER AND GO OVER THE WOOD TO GET IT SMOOTH WITH NO SPLINTERS. AFTER THIS IS DONE YOU MAY ADD TRIM TO WITH FINISHING NAILS (THE KIND WITHOUT A HEAD) TO THE EDGE OF THE DESK THAT WILL BE FLUSH WITH THE TOP. I USED A 1 INCH TRIM FOR THE TOP.



STEP 6:

TAKE SOME REGULAR "DAP KWIK SEAL CAULK"(LIKE YOU USE TO CAULK AROUND BATHTUBS AND SINKS) TO FILL IN THE LITTLE FINISHING NAIL HOLES. NOW TAKE YOUR WHITE PRIMER AND PUT 2 COATS ON THE FRAME AND TRIM. I WAITED 30 MINUTES IN BETWEEN EACH COAT. THEN APPLY YOUR PAINT (YOUR CHOICE) AGAIN I USED A CABINET AND TRIM IN WHITE BECAUSE ITS HIGH GLOSS AND EASY TO CLEAN. I APPLIED 2 COATS.



I ADDED THIS BOOKSHELF THAT I HAD ALREADY TO THE UNDERNEATH ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DESK FOR A LITTLE EXTRA. ITS NOT ATTACHED TO ANYTHING. IF YOU ARE WANTING TO DO THIS ITS RECOMMENDED THAT IT BE PLACE IN THERE BEFORE THE TOP IS IN PLACE SINCE THE STABALIZING PART OF THE FRAME IS IN THE MIDDLE.





CLOSETMAID ALSO HAS THE COLLAPSIBLE FABRIC DRAWERS THAT FIT PERFECT IN THE CUBBYS. I WAS REAL LUCKY TO FIND 14 OF THE SAME COLOR MY COLOR SCHEME IN MY CRAFT ROOM IS ON CLEARANCE FOR $2.39/EACH. THEY ARE NORMALLY ABOUT $7.99/EACH. YOU CAN USE ANYTHING THAT YOU WANT THAT WILL FIT LIKE WOVEN BASKETS WOULD BE CUTE TOO OR NOTHING AT ALL.



I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS PROJECT AND FOR THE MONEY ITS A GREAT WAY TO GO. THIS DESK HAS EVERYTHING I COULD EVER WANT IN A CRAFT DESK. IT IS TALL BUT ITS GREAT FOR PROJECTS THAT ARE EASIER TO DO STANDING AND THE TOP HAS SO MUCH WORK SPACE WITH LOTS OF ROOM. IF YOU MAKE ONE PLEASE SHARE SOME PHOTO'S WITH ME I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM!!!

65 comments:

  1. THANK YOU!!! I had an idea similar to this for building a desk for my homeschooled daughter... My husband just couldn't wrap his head around it until I showed him the pictures on your blog. Now, he's on board and ready to build! Great post. Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exact same thing happened with me! I was in love with the desk like this from Pottery Barn but its almost $1000!! When I tried explaining it to my boyfriend he didn't understand either! When i showed him yoir blog he was onboard too :) I only built the main desk but I love it! Its perfect for a scrapbooking nut! I used the extra piece from the desk top and made a shelf on the wall the same length as the desk. I used glass jars to display all of my embellishments assorted by color on the shelf. Its beautiful and EXACTLY what I wanted! Thank you so much for the guide! You made it so easy that I did the majority of the work myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really is a great idea. I am planning to build this for my wife this spring. Thanks for the post and We will send pics upon completion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very Nice! Great Handy man there too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a nice, lightweight caulking gun. The fiberglass frame is sturdy enough, but doesn't scratch surrounding surfaces as a metal one does.
    This is a great caulk gun... I didn't realize it wasn't metal when I ordered it (guess I didn't read very close) but that hasn't been an issue. I've probably used 20 or more tubes of caulk with it now and its still working great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, just found your blog through Pinterest. I'm looking for design ideas for a craft room desk. I think this might work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your project plans and design! I had made this desk following your instructions and was by far one of the best setups ever. I have changed it up a little now to fit the space I have. Great setup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for posting this. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. have you ever heard about formica sheets ? just wnna ask though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used MDF with a plastic coating on the top then used a super high gloss paint to finish it off.

      Delete
  10. have you ever heard about formica sheets ? just wnna ask though...

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! This is amazing! I have been looking at similar craft desk, but love the L shape idea! THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooooo Cool....now all I need is One extra room to put the guest in and I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I'm putting my boyfriend to work ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bar stools are normal bar stool height. I really wanted white but could not find any that were not expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is AWESOME and almost exactly what I've been telling my husband I want. I will show this to him, ASAP! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome desk and tutorial! I hope I can convince hubby to make me one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When you reference a "Bargain Store" what are you referring to? All we have is Lowes and Home Depot....Thanks
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some towns have a store that has seconds. We had one for a little over a year. Cabinets looked good and so did everything else I looked at. Not sure why they closed.

      Delete
  18. Thank you so much for posting this. I will be attempting this myself and am confident I can achieve this because of your pictures and directions. I sew and will tweak this a little to accommodate my needs. I love what your husband did and what you designed. Again thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea. I am thinking as I have an old table, I will resurface the top and put those cubicles under for storage. Might put them on wheels so I can get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG!! this is perfect, thank you so much for sharing, the pictures and instructions are great!! Off to find someone to build it for me LOL. thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  21. What do you mean by Bargain Store?

    ReplyDelete
  22. WHY ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS IN ALL CAPS?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic Job !!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW that is a perfect kinda of scrapbooking desk, I'm getting ready to start my spare room as my craft room, love this idea, thanks, need to find me a handyman to do this for me......
    ceci

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry, but:
    A lot = :-)
    Alot = :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Spelling police?

      Delete
  26. This is wonderful! Looks great and all that lovely storage. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow...that looks amazing. I love it and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I pinned this for you! You have a lovely craft room!

    xo Michelle
    misanthropycreation.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Totally just did the lay out of it in my room (got the shelves set up and put in place...) honest question, is it a pain to get the the far back cupes on the 9 cute and does it seem too wide to reach the things you've put on the wall there?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ahhhhh Im so excited! Thank you for posting this! Back in April I bought my first house and have been dying to scrapbook but first I had to set my room up for it. I just painted and finished the flooring last week. Now I need to build a desk. I hate having projects unfinished and it has been killing me to be undecided on how to build the desk. I AM SO EXCITED. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You :)Ill be posting pictures when its done :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ok so this is a permanent fixture that will stay in that room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the descriptions she gave for the construction, my answer would have to be "yes". It is obviously too big to go through a doorway, the table tops are glued on and the whole thing would break apart due to weight and awkwardness if you tried to lift it without at least six to twelve people crab-walking it as they lifted it. The top could be pried off if she ever moved, but þhat might cause damage to the cubicles.

      Delete
  32. I can't wait to get this project done! I have been to so many stores this week trying to find a craft table/sewing table and couldn't find one that I was happy with. Found your posting and was so glad to finally see what I have been wanting!!!! Thank you and your husband for coming up with the perfect craft desk for me! Your pictures and instructions are so well organized and easy to follow. Happy crafting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank u for sharing..omg I have been wanting to build me a desk for my craft room and I'm very picky I want something that I will love and enjoy using... now that I have found u I'm able to do so.....thank u

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVE THIS CRAFT DESK! This is exactly what I've been looking for. Now its just a matter of getting the Fiance to let me build it in my office :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nice! I want one or two in my work room!! Thanks for the instructions and how to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a clever idea! Just what I need for my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very nice! Now if I just had a little bigger space to put one I would love it! Thanks for all of the ideas and sharing your beautiful space! : )

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you everyone for all your kind words! I mainly started this for others wishing to have a nice craft desk without paying $$$$ for it. I was seeing them run for so much money to buy one and none of them were what I had visioned. So my husbands honey do list had a priority since I knew what I wanted it to look like but he had the ability to use the tools. Lol glad so many people have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I hope I can find similar things in the UK maybe IKEA and then get my other half to do it. First I have to tidy the room though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I hope I can find similar things in the UK maybe IKEA and then get my other half to do it. First I have to tidy the room though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just created this table. Excellent idea.. Much better than the 600+ dollars I was about to spend... U should publish this bad boy to Ikea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! You should email pictures would love to see it.

      Delete
  42. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful idea with others. I've been struggling with how to make use of the one tiny room (10x11) I have to use for crafting/office space and this will help immensely! (And ironically, I already own 3 of the Closet Made 9 square setups!) I'm going to journal (w/pics) my whole room transformation - so I'll come back and share a link to those once I get going, if you like. :P

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Vikkie, I just saw this today. Thank you so much! It is perfect timing for me and very helpful! It's fairly similar to what I've been trying to design in my head. A recent empty-nester, I just moved all my craft and design "stuff" into the bonus room over the garage. What I want to end up with is a bi-level set-up along 2 walls.
    Crafty all my life, for 2 years I have been focused on jewelry design, and loving it! My husband is a wonderful non-handyman, so my sister-in-law will build it - she is well equipped. I'll post photos of what we end up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASE post!!! I REALLY want to see it!!!

      Delete
  44. I love this! I'm going to do this hopefully by the end of the year. I'm trying to make a small sewing space! Since I live in a tiny 2 bdrm apt I think I'm going to add more of these cubbyhole shelves along the back for more storage under desk. It will be a pain but I'm screaming for space and storage! Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I LOVE this desk idea! Hubby and I could use it for BOTH of our desks, or I could use it for another rolling area. As in rolling, I could use it for rolling dough (a marble or water proof top) or for fabric cutting. I think I will put a water proof top on it anyway, so I can use it for multiple things!!! I LOVE this!!! Did I say I LOVE this???

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wonderful. Loved the photo I'd seen of the finished product, now I know how to achieve it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I can't wait to have the hubby make this. thank you for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love it! Thanks for sharing all of the details and photos. What a great husband you have!

    ReplyDelete
  50. what is the height measurement for your chair? Having a hard time finding something that will work.

    ReplyDelete
  51. That's really cool. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love this!! Only one question.... How do you move it if you plan on moving?! Do you have to disassemble the whole thing? :(

    ReplyDelete
  53. Did you bolt it to the wall for support or does it stand alone? Building it now!

    ReplyDelete
  54. It's so funny, I just made this same thing yesterday only I used some clearance counter top from Lowe's that I have wanted for years. Got up this morning to hang up the tension rod above it for my punches and this was the first thing on my pintrest feed. I used the same white cubes. The 2 section wide ones fit perfect under a standard counter top. I have my counter top meeting at an angle in the corner so I bought a 3 section cube to support the corner where they meet. Had an old base cabinet with drawers I painted white and it fit perfect under the counter. I used the old cheap curtain rods with cheap clear shower hooks to hang packages of embellishments from. Now my stuff is close by and I feel like I have room to create now. You have a great looking room!

    ReplyDelete
  55. I built this desk to be movable so we used bolts to fasten it together. It is a free standing desk.

    ReplyDelete